Friday, October 22, 2010

5 Halloween Must-Sees

In no particular order...

5. "Thriller" video by Michael Jackson. I remember watching this with my little brother when it first aired. It was one time we were actually allowed to watch MTV, as a matter of fact. I had gotten the "Thriller" album (a big, round, black, vinyl thing called a record) for Christmas. We had the song memorized. I remember Christopher and I sitting in our dad's black, leather recliner that was aimed at our TV (the better to watch hokey games). The two of us clung to each other in anticipation- we were 11 and 8 when the video aired. It was so cool! Very worth the wait! Memories...

4. "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown". Need I say more? Charlie Brown's costume. Linus' faith. Sally's loyalty. Sally's scorn. Lucy's rare tenderness. The Great Pumpkin. And, this perfect quote from Linus, "There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin."

3. The Muppet Show with guest star Alice Cooper. I remember when this came on, too. Again , watching it with my little brother and our parents. I was 8 and Christopher was 4 so we had no clue as to who this Alice Cooper was. I do recall a certain amount of confusion concerning the name "Alice". We just thought it was about the most incredible thing we'd ever seen. On the Muppet Show!!!

2. "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein". And Dracula! And the Wolfman! Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney, Jr., Glenn Strange, Abbott and Costello!!! Come on!!! I love, love, love Abbott and Costello movies, no matter who they meet!

1. "Young Frankenstein". Mel Brooks. Gene Wilder. Madeline Kahn. Mel Brooks. Cloris Leachman. Marty Feldman. Mel Brooks. Ah, Mel Brooks. That man can spoof a genre like no one else. This movie is not only funny, but the way it pays tribute to the great horror films and actors... A masterpiece! I love everything about it. Every line and action. "Walk this way." "Roll, roll, roll in the hay." "What great knockers! -Thank you!" "Frau Blucher." "He was my Boyfriend!" "But the candle back!" I could go on but I've got stuff to do!

If you haven't experienced any of these, I'd like to suggest that you do. I plan on introducing my 7 year old to Abbott and Costello this year. What do you like to watch this time of year to help you get into the Halloween mood?

1 comment:

  1. So love Young Frankenstein! Lots of really good Belly Laughs! XD

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...