Friday, January 31, 2014

My Portrait Plan for 2014

I've decided to use fairy tales as my subject source this year. I want to use the original telling to create from, not a more Disney-like version. I have been looking at a lot of different fairy tales, and by different authors, as a result. I am loving going through these little stories, some familiar, some not. I am planning on working on one fairy tale a month, to then be 'released' the following month. And, I kind of want the story to suit the month, if possible.


The first one I chose, as you have seen, is the tale of Snow-white & Rose-red, as the Grimm boys recorded it. I thought it was perfect for February, being all red and white and roses. It is also a sweet, little love story. I planned on doing two portraits; one of Snow-white and one of Rose-red. Then I came up with the idea for the heart-shaped box.

My over all plan is to 'release' whatever I create during one month, on the first Monday of the next month. The 'releasing' will take place on my blog for my portraits (link on the side) and in my Etsy shop. There is a nice mix of open-endedness and structure, don't you think?

What next?

Well, I have compiled a list of fairy tales I am interested in spending some time with. There are some familiar tales (Cinderella, Hansel & Gretel, the Little Mermaid) and some new-to-me tales (Jorinda & Jorginel, the Snow Queen, the Brave Tin Soldier).

For March though, I have picked a classic which is also my favorite (esp. the ballet version): Little Briar-Rose (Sleeping Beauty) by the Brother's Grimm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...