Thursday, April 8, 2010

Memories of Grandma



I've been a bit neglectful of my little blog, I know. I apologize but, as you know, life gets in the way.

Last Thursday, April 1st, my Grandmother passed away. It wasn't sudden but it was still a bit of a shock. Funny how that happens, isn't it? You prepare yourself for the inevitable, you can clearly see where things are heading, but when it happens....

It's sad, too. (Of course it is, you say!) It's sad in so many ways that you don't quite prepare for. In this instance, my mother lost her mother. It breaks my heart to think about (or write about, for that matter). I think my feelings for my mom is what overwhelmed me the most, to begin with. It's sad that I will never get to see or talk to or laugh with my grandmother again. It's sad that the last of my grandparents is gone.

There is a flip side, too. A sweeter side to all of this sadness. Grandma isn't in any physical pain anymore. As a Christian, and knowing that she was saved, I know that she is truly in a better place. All of the "baggage" and burdens that she had been carrying around with her have been lifted from her. And, as Nathanael put it, "Why are you sad? You're going to see her again. In Heaven." (The "duh!" was implied.)

Grandma's passing has inspired me, too. Lit a fire under me. It was so wonderful to see so much of my family at her funeral. It shouldn't take a funeral for me to get in touch with people I'm actually related to, though. I'm going to do better about that! My Grandmother was blessed enough to get to know, not only great-grandchildren, but also great-great-grandchildren! How cool is that! I'd be foolish to let these relationships fade away.

Now for the memories part...

I remember Grandma's flowers. All kinds and so beautiful. Indoors and out.

I remember Grandma's vegetable garden surrounded by a border of bright marigold's. And the rabbits that would visit. And the tongue lashing those rabbits would get:)

I remember the summer my brother and I spent a week at her house. We were told to "bring our food to our mouth, not our mouth to our food". I read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" there. I remember the little creek my brother and I would run down to. And the cemetery beyond. Very enchanting at Grandma's house.

I remember all of Grandma's cats. Once there was even a dog.

I remember Grandma's visits to our house. We always had to have the heat turned up. Way up.

I remember lots of great stories that led to lots of laughter.

I remember how much Grandma loved my mother. That meant a lot to me, knowing how he loved her.

So, here's to Grandma. I'll miss her very much.


Grandma holding me.


Grandma visiting our house. (Go Phillies!)


Grandma, my mom, my nephew and me.


Grandma, a new Asher, Nathanael and me.

2 comments:

  1. She sounded like a very sweet lady! I miss her too now. I miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susan! I miss you too:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...