Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Vegetable Garden Update

Much has been accomplished in the past few weeks.


Indoors the sprouts are sprouting. They're so sweet! I talk to them more than a sane person probably should- sometimes I sound a bit frantic and I bet my dear sprouts are a bit tired of my shoving my eager face in their personal space. They are doing their thing, though. I'm so proud! We have 3 different kinds of tomatoes (grape, roma and regular), peppers and broccoli. I had to do a second planting of broccoli because, out of the first six, I only got two sprouts. I did another six and so far 3 plants have joined us. Right now they are all sitting out in this wonderful sunshine we have today. Come on, broccoli!



Outdoors we have our raised beds. Two weekends ago, my husband and my father built four 4 ft. by 5 ft. by 12" deep beds and filled them with some lovely dirt and compost. The next weekend I roped off the 12" squares and planted some seeds. So far we have peas, carrots, leaf lettuce, beets, radishes, spinach and kale. I have some seed potatoes in a paper bag in a dark, cool spot of our basement growing eyes as we speak. They are next. In a couple of weeks I'll be able to really get planting.

My husband is doing a lot of research on raising chickens and, as it turns out, my cousin Rose's son raises chickens. This weekend we will be paying him a visit. I'm so excited about this, as is Nathanael. I think this will be a lot of fun for us and we will, obviously, learn lots.

I think I'm going to give Nathanael a little plot in the area that we used to plant our veggies in for his own garden. Sadly, the boy doesn't have much of an appreciation for vegetables but we're working on him. Maybe this will help.

So, there's the update. I'll take more pics of our garden as things develop. Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...