Friday, March 18, 2011

Five For Friday- Books for Nathanael

Most of these books I read as a young girl, all except the Harry Potter series. I can't wait for Nathanael to be old enough to read/understand/appreciate/adore these books! I plan on reading them with him (another good reason for getting a kindle- I won't have to purchase two of the same books).

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle is fabulous. I've read it about five or six times myself, as girl and adult. I can remember the first time I read it. It was one of the books that I would take up in a tree we used to climb. I'd sit on a big branch and read and read.

The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White. I read that book many times when I was young but not since. I look forward to rereading it. I barely remember the story but I do remember feeling like reading all over again as soon as I would finish it. Which is how I feel about Pride and Prejudice now.:)

The Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis. I remember the first time I read The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe. It was when my brother and I were visiting my grandma. I was so excited about it. I kept sharing bits of it with Christopher. We had seen the cartoon they'd play on T.V. every Easter, but as books do, this was much better!


The James Herriot books (and after that, the show). I used to think I wanted to be a vet. Because of allergies, asthma and the inability to distance myself emotionally from my patients, this was not going to happen. However, reading those books... I laughed, I cried. I could vet-vicariously through those stories. (I could also clearly see how unsuited I was for the life of a vet. I still can't talk about our family dog that died 21 years ago!)

Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. These were just plain fun! I started reading them as a way to connect with my then eleven year old step-son who loooved Harry Potter. He even looked like Harry Potter! I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed them. I'll make sure Nathanael reads the books before he sees the movies. Each book has such great surprises and plot twists- I don't want him to miss out on those.

I'll have oodles more to throw his way as he gets even older. Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be enthusiastic about Gone With the Wind, Pride and Prejudice, Anna Karenina and Rebecca. Ooh! And Wuthering Heights....His loss!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...