Thursday, November 12, 2009


So, what have I been up to? Well, along with trying to nix this head cold, I've been decorating my house for Christmas, installing a new kitchen floor (not me personally, but you know what I mean) and stitching up some sweet little candle mats to sell for Christmas.

My progress?

The cold lingers but today is the first day that I feel like it's getting better. Yea!!!

The house looks festive, to say the least. Every room of the house is decorated and Christmas carols are playing. I love to decorate and I love Christmas so I look forward to this every year. I don't even mind crawling through the attic and reviving my fear of heights to retrieve all of my red and green totes full of goodies. I don't have the advent calendar that I made a couple of years ago up yet. That will wait 'til November 30th. When I get it hanging I'll take a picture for you. The tree isn't up yet either but it'll probably go up this weekend. I' don't think I can wait any longer than that. I know I'll get some guff from my husband but it is a small price to pay.

The floor looks beautiful. We put a cork floor in our kitchen and I love it! We are in the process of sealing it now so hopefully that will be done tonight and I can get the fridge out of the dining room!:)

The Christmas mats are coming along. What I do is cut out circles and rectangles from a bunch of different wool that I have lying around. Then I grab a mat-to-be and envision what should be on it. I applique or needle felt wool images and do some stitching and... voila! A mat!! They're fun to do because it's kind of like stream-of-consciousness stitching. They're quick and small and pressure-free. I'll sell them at our MSU show next month for about $8-$10 each.


So, there is your next Christmas Project. A quick, simple and small candle mat. Gather some bits and pieces of fabrics you have lying around. Take a bigger piece and trace a dessert plate on it and cut it out. This will be your base fabric. Now add one or two festive touches: mittens, stockings, snowman, presents, tree, star, etc. Applique with a blanket stitch or simply tack it down. Stitch a word or two: Noel, Joy, Snow, Winter, Christmas, etc. Back the mat with felt and blanket stitch the base and back together. Done!


Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...