Tuesday, December 14, 2010

What I Want For Christmas....

...is to enjoy every minute of it!

One of the blogs I follow had a post about not missing the "sparkly eyes". It got me thinking about how every Christmas season I work pretty hard to make it festive and special and a treat for everyone. Then, about noon on Christmas Day, I'm exhausted and wondering what just happened. By then, I'm seriously considering having hot dogs for Christmas dinner instead of ham and all the fixin's. I really felt that way last year.

So, what am I going to do about it? I'm going to slow down, way down, and I'm taking everyone with me! This year, I don't care if it takes four hours, we're opening one gift at a time. Each one of us will take a turn to open a gift, revel in the excitement of said gift, show the gift off to all assembled, gaze at the gift a moment longer. Next!

Maybe it seems cruel to do this to kids but- I don't care! Last year, it was rushed and crazy and I missed half the gifts as they were being opened. I work pretty hard on Christmas lists, gift buying and wrapping. I spend the whole season excited about seeing so-and-so open their gift. I felt really bummed last year when it was all done. I was probably the only one but this year it'll change!

It won't hurt the boys to take their time, to learn what it means to "savor a moment". And, it'll be good for them to see that they aren't the only ones there, that it can be fun to watch others open their gifts. I forsee character developing!;)

So, that's the plan. I'll play Santa, slooooowww Santa. I'll make lots of coffee and hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls.

What's your plan for Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...