Before I began on the lovely Mademoiselle Marie #3 (FYI, Marie will always be the first portrait of the new year), I thought about the ideas and thoughts and images that have been tickling my brain for the past couple of months. And, I wrote them down. So, in an effort to hold myself more accountable, here they are:
- I have been in envisioning a portrait made with paper. Papers, plural. At first, I was thinking of adding color to paper myself, cutting out the shapes and gluing or sewing them together. Then I thought about books. Old books. Different shades of white paper, fading and yellowing. Different fonts, words, typed close together or far apart. So, I want to explore that. I have, actually. Marie was my subject, of course. I'll get her picture up soon.
- I want to draw/watercolor paint more. Either the small, ACEO cards or larger portraits or added to my fabric portraits. Or all of those!
- I want to work on my back stories more. More involved, more elaborate. Plan out groups of corresponding portraits as a book. (?)
- Explore the ACEO's/drawings to greeting card avenue.
- Treat each subject as a more complete package by including multiple forms of portraits and a story and whatever.
- Plan. Precisely. Who, how and story. Before. Instead of frantically wracking my exhausted brain for a last bit of creative effort when the portrait is finished and I am ready to move on.
- I would also like to investigate local and local-ish galleries. I don't know if I am going to do any shows this year.
- And social media. Argh. Ugh. 'nuff said.
- characters inspired by Charles Dickens as it is his 200th birthday this year.
- Dark Shadows characters.
- characters inspired by E. A. Poe. (Yes, I know. These first three take none of you by surprise. Hang in there.)
- Fairy tales characters- ie. Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White.
- characters from Alice in Wonderland.
What's next, now that Marie is complete? Well, I think, don't hold me to it, but...I've had Little Red Riding Hood and that fox of hers on my mind lately. Begin the fairy tales!