Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Summer Pursuits

The last day of school is June 10th. I can hardly believe that it is already here! So, I've been trying to think of all the different things I'd like to do and/or accomplish with the boys over the summer break. I've been concentrating on Nathanael to begin with. I don't want to overload him with busy work but I don't want his brain to fall asleep either. So, I have decided on... The American Revolutionary War.

As I grew up in Pennsylvania, a stone's throw from Valley Forge and in a town  after which a massacre was named, I happen to know quite a bit about this subject. Nathanael is quite interested in war and wars so I think he will find it interesting. Along with telling him what I know and what I've seen, I'd like to find a bunch of books about the beginnings of our country, about the first few presidents, the Constitution, Ben Franklin and Betsy Ross, and the why's. I also want to find some movies to watch with him, too.

As for Asher, I'm going to start teaching him his ABC's. I figure I'll spend a few days on a letter and I'll follow his lead. He has been asking me a lot about how to spell names (which he writes down while I spell it out), what letter is this, what does it mean and what is it for. I plan on involving Nathanael in this, too. I think it'll boost Nathanael's confidence to be the teacher and I know Asher would do anything if it means being able to do it with his brother.

That's as far as I've gotten. Honestly, I'm just looking forward to not having to set an alarm or drive anywhere for a while. What are your summer plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...